Directed by: Ang Lee
Written by: Annie Proulx (story), Larry McMurtry (screenplay), Diana Ossana (screenplay)
Other cast: Jake Gyllenhaal, Heath Ledger, Anne Hathaway, Randy Quaid
Release date: December 9, 2005 (limited release), December 16, 2005 (wide release)
Running time: 134 mins
Set against the sweeping vistas of Wyoming and Texas, the story of two young men--Ennis Del Mar, a ranch-hand, and Jack Twist, a rodeo cowboy--who meet in the summer of 1963, and unexpectedly forge a lifelong connection that provides a testament to the endurance and power of love.
Michelle: “The scene in Brokeback Mountain when I open the door and see Heath and Jake kiss? Everyone was outside and I was in this hallway by myself, and I just kept thinking, I want to be like water. I want to slip through fingers, but hold up a ship.”
“I knew a lot about [Alma] instantly. She was the person I loved when I read the script. The love story between the two men is very strong, but my eyes went to Alma – she was where my heart was.”
“It was my greatest challenge as an actress. It’s like modern dance – the way you can express so much when you move so little.”
• Michelle was the first actress to audition for the role of Alma.
• Filmed on location in the Canadian rockies, southern Alberta, during the summer of 2004.
• The scene where Alma and Ennis go sledding down a hill was the first scene that Michelle and Heath Ledger filmed together. Michelle injured her knee and had to use crutches afterward.
• For her work in this movie, Michelle was nominated for a BAFTA award, a Chicago Film Critics Association Award, a Golden Globe Award, a Gotham Award, an Independent Spirit Award, an Online Film Critics Society Award, a Screen Actors Guild Award, and a Washington DC Area Film Critics Association Award.
• Michelle received her first Academy Award nomination for “Best Supporting Actress”.
• Michelle won the Broadcast Film Critics Association Award, and the Phoenix Film Critics Society Award for “Best Supporting Actress”.