Directed by: Jocelyn Moorhouse
Written by: Jane Smiley (novel), Laura Jones (screenplay)
Other cast: Michelle Pfeiffer, Jessica Lange, Jennifer Jason Leigh, Colin Firth, Elisabeth Moss, Jason Robards, Keith Carradine. Kevin Anderson
Release date: September 19, 1997
Running time: 105 mins
Set on an Iowa farm in 1979, a dictatorial father decides to distribute his 1,000 acre farm among his three daughters, which unearths family secrets both catastrophic and liberating.
Michelle: “It was very intimidating at first. I was working with these famous actresses, and we were dealing with a heavy subject.” But Pfeiffer and Lange put her at ease. “They were helpful and sweet.”
• Loosely based on Shakespeare’s play, King Lear.
• Based on the Pulitzer Prize winning 1991 novel, A Thousand Acres, by Jane Smiley.
• In keeping with the source material, the characters’ names Ginny, Rose and Caroline start with the same letters as those of Lear’s daughters.
• Filmed on location in Los Angeles, California & Rochelle, Illinois.
• Michelle later co-starred with Jessica Lange in Prozac Nation, and Jennifer Jason Leigh in Synecdoche, New York.